My photo
We are Erik and Jennifer Lankford...married for 11 years! We are the proud parents of Isaac Joseph who was born June 15, 2007 and Hadleigh Jane who was born July 15, 2007. They were placed in our home when they were 10 days old and adopted SEPTEMBER 12, 2008. On November 2, 2010 we welcomed Libby Louise into our family and we couldn't be happier. In July of 2012 we welcomed Isaac's biological brother to our family. Jaiden's adoption finalized on Feb 14, 2013. On November 21, 2012 we welcomed Mollie Ryan in to our home to bring us up to 5 children. We live in Aspermont, TX. I have been doing photography for 9 years. I shoot with the CANON 5D Mark II in hopes of buying the 1D eventually. My favorite lenses are the 70-200 2.8 IS and the 85mm prime! I LOVE LOVE LOVE photographing families, children, newborns, high school seniors and maternity!!

Monday, November 8, 2010

Libby's Birth


read about it here:

Well October 30th, which was my due date, came and went. 

Halloween came and went and I got to go with my kids to Harvest Fest and they were adorable!

Monday November 1st, we went in for my Dr appointment and Dr. Wampler decided that we should do some sort of induction. I was already dilated to 3 cm, which had been the case for 2 weeks now. 
She said I most likely would not have to use the Pitocin, so I was ok with that. 

Not an easy decision to make since I had hoped to do everything "naturally". So the best thing to do would be to insert Cervidil behind the cervix to help the contractions get started.
You can read about it here:

So we decided to go in Monday night and get it started. 
In the mean time we went home to get things ready and I went in for a massage in hopes that would trigger something before we went to the hospital that night! :)

My friend Becky was already headed in to town so when my massage was over she was at the house. Andrea made us the yummiest dinner and we sent the kids to spend the night with Travis and Erin (our babysitter: whom they ADORE)! 

Around 10 pm we headed to the hospital. 
Checked in.
Filled out more paperwork.
Waited.
Around 1 am the nurse inserted the Cervidil and by that time Leighanne had arrived at the hospital. 
She and Erik both spent the night and we all tried to get some sleep. 

The cervidil was NOT pleasant.
I hated it. 
It made me cramp and contract and I DID NOT sleep at all that night. 

Morning came and the contractions were starting to get stronger and closer together.
So close that I swear they were lasting at least 10 minutes and not giving me a break. 
I honestly don't know how long this went on, but it felt like one VERY VERY VERY long cramp!

Right before Dr. W came in to check on me the first time, my nurse Stacie 
(WHO btw WAS THE BESTEST nurse ever)
pulled the cervidil out because we didn't want to distress the baby. 
I would say this was maybe around 9 or so. 

Libby was a trooper. Her heartbeat always stayed within the normal range. 

By this time I had not been able to eat or drink anything and of course I was thirsty and hungry. 
They were worried that once they took the cervidil out the contractions might stop. 
But
they did not. 

They kept right on going, even still very long ones. 
We walked. 
I took a shower.
I think we walked some more. 

I had a room full of my supporters and they were awesome. 
Thank you Mom, Leighanne, Becky, Pat, Kerri, Tawny and most of all 
Erik. 

Everyone was so great and encouraging to me. 
I love you all very much.

I wish I could remember the time line a little more, but I think around 1 or 2 maybe, Dr. Wampler came in and broke my water b/c I still had not dilated past 3 cm. 

That was nice. 
Then the contractions REALLY started getting stronger and more painful. 
Kerri really coached me through all of this by keeping me calm and relaxed. 
Erik was a great support too.

I had to stand up almost all day because that is what felt the best to help me through the contractions. 
Libby's head was so low already that it made it worse to sit, even on the birthing ball. 

We are all exhausted by this point. 
I think she came in to check me a few times and I went from a 3 to a 9 1/2 VERY SLOWLY!!
I don't think I ever even made to a 10. 
When I reached 9 1/2 I think it was maybe around 4:30 or 5.

She let me start pushing at this point, but there was still a tiny piece of cervix that was getting in the way. 
Dr. W. was trying to hold it back so the head could start coming through. We did this for an hour and half maybe, and then realized that she was face up coming through the cervix. She had me rotate positions to push and try to get her to roll over. 

She  never did. 
This went on for another hour.
I pushed and pushed and pushed and it was HARD!!

By this time I was almost completely exhausted. 
Wasn't sure I could go any longer. 

Dr. Wampler suggested using the vacuum to help get her head out.
So we did. 
And I tried to push with the vacuum for may 30 minutes. Not real sure and then the 
vacuum broke! 

AAAAARRRGGHHH! 
I could not go on any longer. 
She was not coming out. 
She was not turning around.
Next on the agenda:
C-SECTION!

Honestly I did not care at this point. I was so tired and exhausted. 
I just wanted her out safe and sound.
They said we need to prep you. 

I hadn't had and IV yet so they had to put that in,
draw blood and I think I got 2-3 bags of fluid before heading in to the OR.

They gave Erik his scrubs and took me (in my bed) to the Operating Room. 
I swear I had 2 contractions on my way to the OR and 2 in the OR. I just wanted them over. 
NO TIME to "WORK" through them. 
I should have!

They gave me the epidural.
I don't know how.
I was shaking uncontrollably. 

It worked instantly and I couldn't feel my legs or my feet or my belly or my contractions. 
I think I almost went to sleep right then and there I was so relaxed. 
They brought Erik and it seemed like a long time was going by so I looked up at him and asked what was going on, is everything ok?
Dr. W assured me that all was perfect and she was just fine. 

I think within a matter of 10 minutes they had cut me open and removed Libby.
Who apparently was crying before Dr. W even took her out of my belly! :)
Erik said he couldn't believe how BIG she was. She just kept coming and coming!










They let me take a quick peak at her and then took our picture and headed out so they could
sew me up. 
It didn't take long and they had me in the recovery room. 
I think maybe 30 minutes had passed when they finally brought her to me to hold. 
She was perfect and swollen and crying and so sweet!

So after almost 24 hours of labor she arrived and we are absolutely in love with her!



Libby Louise Lankford
8 pounds 7 ounces
20 1/2 inches long
10:32 pm
November 2, 2010
I am sure there is more to tell, but this is the beginning!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh Jen!! Congratulations sweet girl! I am thrilled for you and Miss Libby is amazingly adorable.

Cami said...

holy moly girl!!! That was CRAZY!! So sorry you had to do ALL that work just for a C-Section :( I had one with Seth, but I didn't have to go through all that labor first! But I know you were just so ecstatic to have her out, safe and sound :) SHE.IS.PERFECT. :)

GiGi said...

CONGRATS! WHat a beautiful family. I had my Penelope (#6) on October 13th 2010..
xoxo
GapGirl

Unknown said...

Many congrats to you and your hubby!! Such exciting news! I'm a new follower. Looking forward to following along your journey!

40 weeks pregnant

Isaac Joseph Lankford

Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Hadleigh Jane Lankford

Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker